October 28, 2008 Lehigh Valley, Pa.
In the same month that the UK Government has announced it is increasing its CO2 reduction target from 60% to 80% by 2050, the UK’s market leader in hydrogen infrastructure announces that it is on course for a record year in its hydrogen fuel cell market.
Air Products has experienced nearly 100% growth in its global hydrogen energy business in 2008. Its leadership efforts around the world have included the fuelling of hydrogen buses at the Beijing Olympics and the first cross-country 3,073 mile fuel cell car journey across the United States. In the UK, Air Products has won contracts totalling several million pounds across the country for the key hydrogen fuelling projects announced during the year.
Air Products has led the drive towards making the hydrogen economy a reality in the UK, and by the end of 2009, its Hydrogen Energy Systems team will have supplied the equipment and expertise to the first seven hydrogen fuelling sites in the country. Looking forward, despite current economic conditions, the future is looking even more exciting with accelerated use of hydrogen across the whole of the UK.
Recent contract wins with Yorkshire Forward, Camden Council, the University of Loughborough and the Hebridean Hydrogen Seed (H2seed) project, follow Air Products’ Transport for London contract win in March and the launch of the UK’s first hydrogen fuelling station at the University of Birmingham in April.
Ian Williamson, Hydrogen Energy Systems Director, Europe, India and Africa from Air Products said:
“We are extremely proud and excited that Air Products continues to been recognised as the UK’s leader in the provision of innovative, reliable and safe hydrogen infrastructure solutions from production, transportation through to the filling of vehicle fuel tanks. These ground-breaking projects represent the coming of age for hydrogen as credible transport fuel and are laying the foundation for significant CO2 reductions. We are committed to helping the Government achieve its ambitious 80% reduction target by playing our part in the hydrogen revolution in the months and years ahead.”
Notes to Editors:
1. Air Products has over 90 fuelling stations on stream in 15 countries, with over 72,000 vehicle fuellings.
2. Picture Opportunity: Air Products’ representatives and technology, including a fuelling station, will be available at two exciting events during October:
a. London Hydrogen Partnership - Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Showcase at City Hall on the 29th October from 09.45am to 3.00pm. http://www.london.gov.uk/lhp/events/showcase/index.jsp
b. UK National Low Carbon Vehicle Event - Tuesday 28th October 2008.
Location: Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire
3. Since January 2008 to date (October 2008) Air Products has won the following contracts:
• March: The Transport for London agreement includes the supply of hydrogen fuel and a dedicated fuelling station for the 10 hydrogen powered buses, which form a central part of London’s hydrogen transport programme.
• April: The University of Birmingham and Air Products unveiled the first hydrogen gas filling station in the UK. The Air Products hydrogen filling station will be used to fill five hydrogen powered vehicles.
• May: The Hebridean Hydrogen Seed (H2seed) project agreement includes the supply of dedicated hydrogen fuelling station and storage facilities for the Islands’ hydrogen-powered cars.
• September: The University of Loughborough agreement includes the supply of a dedicated fuelling station for a fleet of hydrogen powered cars, vans and motorbikes.
• September: Yorkshire Forward (Sheffield) project was to power a building and a fuelling station was added to it. Air Products will supply the fuel station.
• October: Air Products is to supply hydrogen fuel and training for a new zero-emission hydrogen fuel cell which will power road side vehicle emissions testing equipment in Camden.
4. Air Products
Air Products (NYSE:APD) serves customers in industrial, energy, technology and healthcare markets worldwide with a unique portfolio of atmospheric gases, process and specialty gases, performance materials, and equipment and services. Founded in 1940, Air Products has built leading positions in key growth markets such as semiconductor materials, refinery hydrogen, home healthcare services, natural gas liquefaction, and advanced coatings and adhesives. The company is recognized for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Air Products has annual revenues of $10 billion, operations in over 40 countries, and 22,000 employees around the globe. For more information, visit www.airproducts.com.
More information on Air Products’ hydrogen fuelling station technologies and activities can be found at: www.airproducts.com/h2energy.