Solid hydrocarbons – Cleanly converting coal, petroleum coke and biomass into high-value products and power
Demand for coal is increasing because of the world’s growing appetite for energy. However, depletion of the highest-quality deposits and stricter emissions legislation mean that operators use lower-quality coal in more environmentally acceptable ways. The Air Products gasification process is a proven, efficient and reliable technology. It converts a wide range of coal to syngas that can be used:
- To generate power through integrated gasification combined cycle (IGCC) processes, with lower emissions than from burning coal or even natural gas and a concentrated carbon dioxide stream for optional CCS
- As an alternative feedstock for chemical manufacture
- To produce high-value, synthetic liquid fuels and lubricants
- To produce hydrogen
Air Products offers the following coal gasification technology options designed to meet varying business needs:
- The Air Products Gasification Process DSC (Dry-feed Syngas Cooled) system offers high thermal efficiency suitable for large projects and IGCC power generation.
- The Air Products SRSC Slurry-feed, Radiant Syngas Cooled process offers high quality steam production coupled with high efficiency from a slurry-feed gasifier.
- The Air Products Gasification Process DBQ (Dry-feed, Bottom Quench) system uses a proven reactor membrane wall/burner technology, but with a simplified syngas cooler configuration that reduces capital costs by up to 30% and increases feedstock flexibility.
- The Air Products Gasification Process SBQ (Slurry-feed, Bottom Quench) system uses a refractory-lined system, with a cost-efficient bottom-quench that reduces capital costs by up to 30% and increases feedstock flexibility.
Proven technologies that are reliable and scalable
An inert carrier gas transports dry or slurry-fed, pulverized coal into the gasifier, where it contacts oxygen and steam. Our gasifier designs use the optimal configurations for each configuration, including a membrane wall of high-pressure water/steam tubes and multiple burners to separate the syngas from the slag or radiant coolers or refractory-lined systems. The slag flows down into a water bath, where it can be extracted as a solid. Multiple burners provide the potential for easy scale-up.
In the Air Products Gasification Process syngas cooler technology, recycled syngas is used to quench the syngas exiting the reactor, which is then cooled further in an external cooler to generate high- and medium-pressure steam as valuable by-products.
In the Air Products Gasification Process radiant cooler technology, syngas exiting the reaction zone is heat exchanged to generate super-heated steam as a valuable by-product.
In the bottom quench systems, the syngas is cooled directly in a proven water-quench system.
Air Products’ Turnkey Solution
We offer full Air Products-owned and operated, on-site syngas plants or process licensing and can support your project throughout its life cycle. We give customers peace of mind by providing operational support and business and project-execution services, including:
Why select Air Products gasification technology?
- Onsite syngas production
- Design and engineering
- Commissioning and start-up
- Experience transfer
- Master planning
- Advanced data analytics
Unique and proven
Since the first coal gasifier using the Air Products Gasification Process began operating nearly 40 years ago, there are now more than 100 Air Products Gasification Process reactors operating or in the planning stages around the world. Over 100 coal types have been successfully processed, including blends of high-ash coal and petcoke.
Air Products’ Gasification Process technology can process a wide range of coals, from lignite to anthracite, as well as petcoke and biomass blends. It also offers:
- Low coal consumption (510–615 kg per 1,000 Nm³ of effective syngas);
- Low fresh water consumption.
- High throughput and availability and low maintenance costs by using proven reactor membrane wall and burner technology.
The Air Products Gasification Process DSC or SRSC syngas cooler line-up:
- Has a higher thermal efficiency than other gasifiers
- Produces less waste water
- Generates high- and medium-pressure steam, which can help reduce operating expenditures
Our Air Products Gasification Process Bottom Quench line-up:
Reducing capital and operational costs
- Requires up to 30% less capital expenditure and offers more stable operation through its simplified configuration
- Widens coal suitability by eliminating the fouling risk in the syngas cooler
The multiple-burner design is easily scaled for larger units and is highly reliable, which eliminates the need to build a spare gasifier. Using larger units requires fewer operators, less maintenance and a smaller spare parts inventory. Units with a dry coal intake capacity of 3,200 t/d have already been designed.
Continuous design improvement
As an owner and operator and through close partnerships with other users, Air Products has the insight and experience to deliver. We record innovations and improvements in a lessons-learned database for the benefit of all licensees and to improve our master design. Focusing on continuous improvement through innovation and partnership helps us to achieve longer continuous runs and lower maintenance costs.
Our global Air Products Gasification Technical Service Center provides process design, life-cycle support, simulation, and start-up assistance on the front end of projects. Long-term operational assistance, training, troubleshooting and spare parts are also offered as part of ongoing support to our customers. Lessons learned are shared through regular user meetings, as well as through global thought leadership conferences, where we seek to build user communities and accelerate learning. Ask us about our support services and arranging a site visit from some of our experts.
Air Products Syngas Solutions™ formerly: Shell Coal Gasification Process (SCGP) and GE Energy's gasification technology