Commenting on the results, Air Products' Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Seifi Ghasemi said, "Our team successfully drove pricing and volumes in our base business, delivering critical productivity, efficiency and sustainability benefits for our customers. The team also continued to advance our first-mover clean hydrogen mega projects that will decarbonize heavy transportation and industrial sectors globally. I am proud of the continued achievements of our team who delivered outstanding results despite the ongoing economic and geopolitical challenges in the world.”
Fiscal 2023 Second Quarter Results by Business Segment
- Americas sales of $1,373 million were up 16 percent over the prior year on nine percent higher volumes and eight percent higher pricing, partially offset by one percent unfavorable currency. Operating income of $324 million increased 18 percent and adjusted EBITDA of $514 million increased 14 percent, in each case due to higher pricing and higher volumes, partially offset by higher costs. Operating margin of 23.6 percent increased 40 basis points primarily due to higher pricing, while adjusted EBITDA margin of 37.4 percent decreased 50 basis points.
- Asia sales of $814 million increased eight percent over the prior year, as seven percent higher volumes, five percent higher pricing and three percent higher energy cost pass-through more than offset seven percent unfavorable currency. Operating income of $233 million increased 14 percent and adjusted EBITDA of $350 million increased nine percent, in each case due to the favorable volumes and pricing, partially offset by higher costs and unfavorable currency. Operating margin of 28.6 percent increased 150 basis points and adjusted EBITDA margin of 43.0 percent increased 20 basis points.
- Europe sales of $753 million increased two percent over the prior year, driven by 11 percent higher pricing and three percent higher volumes, partially offset by six percent lower energy cost pass-through and six percent unfavorable currency. Operating income of $173 million increased 49 percent and adjusted EBITDA of $251 million increased 32 percent, in each case primarily driven by higher pricing. Operating margin of 23.0 percent increased 720 basis points and adjusted EBITDA margin of 33.3 percent increased 760 basis points.
- Middle East and India equity affiliates' income of $99 million increased 39 percent compared to the prior year, primarily due to the completion of the second phase of the Jazan project.
- Corporate and other sales of $215 million decreased 10 percent compared to the prior year, driven by lower sale of equipment activity.
Air Products provides adjusted EPS guidance on a continuing operations basis, excluding the impact of certain items that management believes are not representative of the Company's underlying business performance, such as the incurrence of costs for cost reduction actions and impairment charges, or the recognition of gains or losses on disclosed items. It is not possible, without unreasonable efforts, to predict the timing or occurrence of these events or the potential for other transactions that may impact future GAAP EPS. Similarly, it is not possible, without unreasonable efforts, to reconcile the forecasted capital expenditures to future cash used for investing activities because management is not able to identify the timing or occurrence of future investment activity, which is driven by management's assessment of competing opportunities at the time the Company enters into transactions. Furthermore, it is not possible to identify the potential significance of these events in advance, but any of these events, if they were to occur, could have a significant effect on the Company's future GAAP results. Management therefore is unable to reconcile, without unreasonable effort, the Company’s forecasted range of adjusted EPS or the capital expenditures to a comparable GAAP range.
Air Products expects full-year fiscal 2023 adjusted EPS guidance of $11.30 to $11.50, up 10 to 12 percent over prior year adjusted EPS. For the fiscal 2023 third quarter, Air Products' adjusted EPS guidance is $2.85 to $2.95, up 10 to 14 percent over fiscal 2022 third quarter adjusted EPS.
Effective beginning in the first quarter of fiscal year 2023, management reviews adjusted EPS excluding the impact of non-service related components of the net periodic benefit/cost for the Company's defined benefit pension plans. The projected percentage increase in adjusted EPS for full year fiscal 2023 and fiscal 2023 third quarter is calculated using fiscal 2022 results recast on a consistent basis. Refer to the reconciliations of GAAP to non-GAAP historical results below for additional information.
Air Products continues to expect capital expenditures of $5.0 - $5.5 billion for full-year fiscal 2023.
Access the fiscal 2023 second quarter earnings teleconference scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time on May 9, 2023 by calling 323-701-0225 and entering passcode 4444766 or by accessing the Event Details page on Air Products’ Investor Relations website.