Carburizing, Nitriding, and Hardening
Expert solutions to help you succeed
Air Products’ Atmosphere Solutions are available for carburizing, neutral hardening, carbonitriding, nitriding and nitrocarburizing. Nitrogen, methanol, and/or a small amount of enriching gas are blended at the furnace to provide a furnace atmosphere essentially identical in composition to that of endothermic. By varying the amount of enriching gas, the furnace carbon potential can be adjusted to meet your specific atmosphere requirements. The benefit of Air Products’ Atmosphere Solutions is superior atmosphere control for consistent part quality, operational cost savings, significant increases in operational productivity, and ease of operation.
Industrial Gases from a Global Leader
- Global leading manufacturer of nitrogen, oxygen, and argon
- World leading producer and supplier of hydrogen and helium
- Reliable supply of industrial gases
- Excellent record of meeting on-time needs
- Industry leader in safety
- Technical support when you need it
- World-class customer service
Heating Treating Solutions
Ask the Expert
Commercial Technology Manager - Europe
In atmosphere-carburized parts, especially bulk loads, variations in surface hardness might appear. This is a common issue caused by insufficient atmosphere circulation inside the furnace chamber and through the load. At Air Products our atmosphere flow modelling capabilities enable us to simulate and solve these technical barriers. Our specialists can work with you to find the best way to modify the load set-up, thus improving the carburizing results.
Download Nitrogen-Propane Protective Atmospheres for Annealing and Hardening Operations in Continuous Furnaces
Each Atmosphere Solution is Customized for Your Needs
We can help you choose the right atmosphere composition.
- Select and provide blending and flow control equipment
- Perform on-site atmosphere analyses for consistent dimensional control, carbon control, and physical and metallurgical properties
- Optimize your furnace process to lower operating costs
- Perform state-of-the-art metallographic and chemical analyses (SEM, ESCA, SAM, ISS, SIMS)
- Provide safety training
- Test atmospheres using your parts in our lab furnaces
- Demonstrate our system at your facility
Industrial Gas Audits and Leak Detection Services
Get in touch with our technical experts
Put decades of experience with industrial gases, production, applications and equipment to work for you.
Gas Supply Options
Compressed argon gas and liquid argon in a variety of purities and in various modes of supply around the world thanks to our network of storage and transfill facilities.
An inert gas for cryogenic, heat transfer, shielding, leak detection, analytical and lifting applications
Valued for its reactive and protective properties, and used by many industries such as electronics, foods, glass, chemicals, refining and more can benefit from its unique properties to improve quality, optimize performance and reduce costs.
Useful as a gas, for its inert properties, and as a liquid for cooling and freezing. Virtually any industry can benefit from its unique properties to improve yields, optimize performance and make operations safer.