A multipurpose gas for the metals and materials processing industry
Hydrogen is used in metals & materials processing to reduce metal oxides and to prevent oxidation during heat-treating processes and metal powder production. Hydrogen is used in high-velocity oxy-fuel (HVOF) processes for generating high heat, low oxidation and high particle velocities. It can also be used as a process gas in atmosphere plasma spray applications. Our applications engineers can help you select a supply system to meet your pressure and volume requirements.
Air Products offer liquid hydrogen and compressed hydrogen gas in a variety of purities and various modes of supply around the world thanks to our network of storage and transfill facilities.
Hydrogen for Metals and Materials Processing
Hydrogen can be used in a wide range of applications across metals and materials component manufacturing:
- Thermal and plasma spraying
- Heat treating
- Metal powder production
to provide numerous benefits, such as:
- Reducing or eliminating surface oxidation
- Improving part quality
- Increasing efficiency and yields
- Decreasing scrap
Ask the Expert
Applications Engineer, North America
There are only a few types of fuels used for combustion in traditional HVOF (High Velocity Oxy-Fuel) systems, i.e., hydrogen, kerosene, methane (natural gas), propane and propylene. While each fuel has some distinct advantages, hydrogen offers some unique advantages:
- Because of its higher thermal conductivity, hydrogen achieves the best heat transfer from the flame to the powder particles despite having an overall lower flame temperature in comparison with the conventional hydrocarbon fuels.
- The performance of the HVOF process depends on the type of fuel, stoichiometric ratio, and combustion pressure, as well as gun design features. The ability to run rich hydrogen flows creates a reducing atmosphere, which lowers oxide production and further improves the quality of the coating.
- Due to the complete combustion of the stoichiometric reactants of hydrogen and oxygen, there are no unburned residuals deposited on the coating.
- In addition, hydrogen can be delivered at sufficient pressures in tubes and bulk liquid tanks that do not require heating pads during the winter months in order to assure sufficient fuel flow to your HVOF booth.
Cylinders & Hard Goods
The traditional solution for low-volume gas supply. Cylinders can be supplied in a full range of sizes, pressures and gas purities for a range of gases and gas mixtures. Search our extensive network of distributors in the U.S. and parts of Canada for your cylinder and hard goods supply needs.
CryoEase® Microbulk Solutions
A convenient and cost-effective solution for larger operations. CryoEase® tanks are available in a range of sizes. The CryoEase® service simplifies your gas supply by eliminating the need to handle cylinders, stock taking and ordering.
Delivered by truck and stored on your site either as a liquid in cryogenic tanks or as a gas in high-pressure tubes based on your volume, desired pressure, purity level, flow rate, and operating pattern.
On-site Gas Generation
On-site gas generation helps sustainability-minded customers lower their carbon footprint, boost energy efficiency, increase throughput, enhance end product quality, and improve environmental performance.
Located in major industrial locations around the world, pipelines offer customers with large product demands a range of benefits, including reliable, safe and flexible supply in a cost-effective way.
Industrial Gas Audits and Leak Detection Services
Get in touch with our technical experts
Let us help you optimize argon usage to improve quality and increase efficiency and yield.
Our Safety Data Sheet (SDS) library allows you to search and find the SDS you need--in the language you select.